Negative Net Neutralilty
The FCC proposed Monday Sept. 21st 2009 a need to regulate bandwidth to ensure net neutrality. Many large internet providers do not think the government should control the networks. The FCC wants to prevent internet providers from limiting consumers to an open access. This means that the internet bandwidth will not be blocked or limited.
- Consumers are entitled to access any legal Internet content
- Consumers are entitled to use any Internet applications or services
- Consumers are entitled to connect to any devices that won’t harm the network
- The same rules apply to cable/DSL and wireless Internet
- Internet providers can’t block or slow competitors’ online services
A quote from the creator of the world wide web: “The neutral communications medium is essential to our society. It is the basis of a fair competitive market economy. It is the basis of democracy, by which a community should decide what to do. It is the basis of science, by which humankind should decide what is true. Let us protect the neutrality of the net.” Tim Berners-Lee inventor of the World Wide Web.
The importance of an open access internet provides users with the freedom of expression, economic growth and possible evolution. The main concern I have deals with the increase of service failure this could cause. I am not a computer technician, but I can forsee this creating more problems than solutions. Also, the idea of our government regulating our freedom of expression is a concept I can not trust.